Malware is any number of malicious software variants, including: Viruses, trojans, and spyware.
It is designed to cause extensive harm to data and network systems, to gain unauthorized access to a system, and to obtain data contained on a system.
Malware is often downloaded onto a computer or phone when a user clicks on a link or opens an attachment. Some malware is designed as a precursor to a larger attack.
Ways to protect your network from malware:
- Back up your data often
- Don’t click on suspicious links
- Inspect attachments before opening them
- Keep your security patches current
- Keep your anti-virus software current
Think you’ve been compromised? Here’s what to do:
- Contact your helpdesk or IT security team
- DO NOT turn off your computer
- DO unplug the network cable